You are here
3 oz Salt Pork
3 oz Carrots diced
3 oz onion diced
2 oz whole butter
3 Tbs Flour
5 lbs tomatoes quartered
1 qt White Stock
1 clove crushed garlic
Salt, Pepper, & Sugar to taste
1. Over low heat, render salt pork in butter for approximately 5 minutes just before pork starts to get crisp.
2. Add carrots and onions. Sweat over medium heat for about 5-10 minutes until tender.
3. Sprinkle the flour over the mix and continue to cook for another 2 minutes.
4. Add in tomatoes and continue to cook until they start to soften and release some of their liquid.
5. *Add in white stock and garlic cover and simmer for 2 hours.
6. **Blend sauce until smooth and press through a mesh strainer.
7. Finish with salt, pepper, and sugar to taste.
* Classically simmered in an oven at 350°F
**This step may be eliminated if going for a more rustic or home-style sauce.