You are here
Bearnaise Sauce Recipe
1 cup + 5 Tbs. Butter
2 medium Shallots (chopped)
½ bunch Fresh tarragon (divided into stems and leaves)
8 Whole black peppercorns (crushed)
3 oz. White wine
3 oz. Tarragon or white-wine vinegar
3 Egg yolks
3 Tbs. Cold water
Optional Salt and white pepper to taste
1. Clarify butter. (yield: approximately 1 cup)
a. In sauce pan over low heat, melt butter until it seperates, ensuring it doesn't burn.
b. Remove from heat and skim fat off the top.
c. Ladle out the clarified butter that is sitting on top of the water that was conained in the butter.
d. Set aside and keep warm.
2. Create wine and vinegar reduction. (yield: approximately ¼ cup)
a. In sauce pan, over medium heat, combine wine, vinegar, shallots, tarragon stems, and peppercorns.
b. Reduce by ⅔ .
c. Remove from heat and strain reduction.
3. Make sabayon. (cook time: approximately 2 minutes)
a. Combine yolks and cold water in sauce pan with sloping sides
b. Whisk until light and frothy
c. Over medium heat whisk rapidly until volume triples. Keep whisking and when yolks start to stiffen whisk rapidly for 5 more seconds over heat.
d. Remove from heat and continue whisking for approximately 20 seconds to cool the sabayon.
4. Combine clarified butter and sabayon by stirring sabayon with whisk and fairly quickly pooring in the clarified butter.
5. Add wine reduction to sabayon until desired consistency and flavor are reached.
6. Chop tarragon leaves and add to sauce.
7. Season and adjust to taste.